Spark of Brilliance, founded in 1999 by Judith Rosenberg, provides opportunity for people living with mental health issues and their supportive allies to experience the expressive arts, within a supportive, understanding community-based environment.
The program’s distinctive model was conceived from a belief that healing and recovery can be kindled through the arts.
Judith Rosenberg’s philosophy has been to provide opportunities for individuals to feel empowered through artistic expression.
The experience of Jay Lefler, her son who has experienced his own mental health issues, describes the impact of Spark of Brillance as: “My love of art, painting and creative expression played a huge role in my healing.”
On April 1st, 2012, after 3 years of planning and transitioning, the Waterloo Wellington Spark of Brilliance services integrated under the Self Help Alliance (now Self Help & Peer Support). Both services share similar philosophy and values, making this partnership beneficial to both services area.
Services Spark of Brilliance Provides
- One-to-one meetings with individuals with the lived experience of a mental health and/or addictions issue and family members to share their particular creative interests and to gather new ideas for workshops and programs.
- Meeting with support groups, family groups, agencies, hospitals, etc., to share information about Spark of Brilliance and to gather ideas for potential programming.
- Professional presentations – providing information about the healing power of the arts to all sectors of the community, including: schools and churches, mental health organizations, businesses/industries and the arts.
- Our “Permission to Laugh” comedy troupe is available to provide entertainment and awareness for your fundraiser, conference or special event.
- Creative workshops can be facilitated in your preferred setting.
For more details about the Spark of Brilliance services, please contact:
Marcey Gray, Program Coordinator, Spark of Brilliance
P: 519.763.4014 x 2355
TF: 1.844.264.2993 x 2355
Together we can create a workshop, event or presentation that is enjoyable and accommodating to your audience.